- Begin by making the Avocado Tahini Crema. Add avocado, tahini, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, ice-cold water, and salt to a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with additional salt if desired. Set aside.
- For the cabbage slaw, combine shredded red cabbage, sliced red onion, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeño pepper, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine and let marinate while you make the fish.
- For the crispy fish, add 1 cup of flour to a shallow bowl or plate. Season chunked Mahi-Mahi or Cod fish with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- To make the beer batter, whisk together 1¼ cups flour, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Mexican beer or lager, and hot sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable or canola oil in a large, heavy-bottomed non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Working quickly, dip your dredged fish pieces into the beer batter, shaking off any excess batter.
- Fry for 2 or so minutes per side, or until golden, crispy, and cooked through. You will know the fish is ready to flip when it releases easily from the pan. Repeat in batches until all fish has been fried.
- Let fish drain on paper towels and season with additional salt while hot, if desired.
- Warm or charr your favorite tortillas over a gas flame. If you don’t have access to a gas stove or grill, heat the tortillas in the oven.
- Spread a spoonful of tahini avocado crema on the tortilla, followed by the crispy fish. Layer with a handful of slaw. Top with extra tahini avocado crema and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Notes:The tahini avocado crema and cabbage slaw can be prepped ahead of time, but the fish is best served right away for ultimate crispiness!