- Bring milk, butter, sugar, and a generous pinch of salt to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the milk mixture is coming to a simmer, mix rice flour, baking powder, and crumbled cheese in a bowl with a fork.
- When milk mixture comes to a simmer, slowly add in rice flour mixture while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring until dough begins to come away from the sides of the pot.
- Allow dough to cool for 5 minutes. After dough has cooled, add in eggs while again stirring continuously until no more egg is visible.
- Heat 2 cups oil over medium high heat until oil has reached 350 degrees. Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, scoop almojábana mixture into oil being mindful to not overcrowd the pan. Move around carefully with a spoon to ensure even cooking. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Move fritters onto a wire rack or paper towel and immediately sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve immediately.
Mermelada de Recaíto
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add all ingredients at once.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook stirring often until marmalade has thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with hot almojábanas.