- Rinse the chickpeas and soak them in a quart of water overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas and replace the soaking liquid with a fresh quart of cool water. Place in a lidded pot with a pinch of salt and the bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook until chickpeas are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, diced onion, garlic, cumin seeds, tomato paste, and harissa and simmer for another 15 minutes until the flavors have come together.
- Finish with lemon juice and serve with the toppings of choice.
- Note: If using canned chickpeas, use vegetable or chicken broth as the base instead of water.